Our Wine Trail is a 1 day/2 night relaxed-adventure for wine lovers and foodies. If you might like walking through the vineyards surrounding a beautiful German town while tasting the wine varieties of the Rhine Valley, this is probably perfect for you. This package provides a very local experience way off the beaten path, but with all the best things in life: nice hotels, wine, food & ambiance. This tour even has an old castle, and with luck, the occasional wine festival.
- We handle all details
- Self-guided wine tasting hike
- Beautiful Black Forest wine town
- Superior hotel
- 1 day/ 2 night package
- Well marked & easy to navigate trail
- 5 wines and 5 meals during hike
- Distance: 8 km (5 miles)
- Difficulty: Medium!
- Note: a bit of elevation!
What’s the area like?
There are 13 wine regions in Germany with more than 23,000 vineyards. The wine area of The Black Forest is the 3rd largest and southern-most wine region in Germany (called Baden).
The climate in this area is warm, as the vineyards are sheltered by the surrounding mountains and the Rhine River Valley. Due to this warm climate, Baden produces the only wine-zone B class wines in Germany. Wine-zone B is the same category as the famous French wine areas of Alsace, Champagne, and the Loire Valley.
If you enjoy the good things in life: food, scenery, a nice hotel & wine – this is the trail for you
Is this a good hiking package for me?
The Wine Trail is a good package if you are looking for medium walks with some elevation through beautiful scenery, while taking in good food and great wine. The walk allows that you have plenty of time to take it easy and immerse yourself in the local Black Forest culture of the town in the evening.
Wine & Food
Your package includes a locally celebrated bottle of wine on your arrival. You then have the evening to explore town. The next day you will set out on your self-guided wine hike that includes 5 meals and numerous wines at different locations in the vineyards above the town.
Best time to go
Mid-May to mid-October is the best time to enjoy the Wine Trail. If you are touring on a weekend during September you might even run into a local festival of which there are several that celebrate the seasonal harvests (wine, strawberries, asparagus, cherries, etc). Please note that arrival days are limited to Wednesdays through Saturdays.
What’s included with the Wine Trail Package?
- Accommodation for 2 nights in a superior hotel with pool & wellness area
- Double Room with en-suite bathroom
- Welcome drink upon arrival
- 3-course menu at hotel on arrival night
- Black Forest specialty platter on second night at hotel
- 7 km wine-walk (self-guided) including several food courses (vegetarian option available) and wines
- Detailed route notes and maps
- Welcome package with useful information and orientation to town
Elevation Profile (7 km/5 miles)
Outline of The Wine Trail
Day 1: Arrival Day
Arrive in the Black Forest region by train/bus. Arrival days are Wednesdays thru-Saturdays. Upon check-in relax at the hotel (wellness area) or explore the nearby town. We are including a 3-course dinner at the hotel’s restaurant – a place known by locals for their great food and wines.
Day 2: Getting on The Wine Trail
Overview of your day. After breakfast hop on the bus. Within 5 minutes you arrive in one of the most beautiful wine towns in the area. Explore town upon arrival. Although the hike itself is only 7 km/5 miles long, it will take you several hours to complete it. We have included 5 stops in the vineyards where we serve you food and wine. You will be back at your hotel around 6 PM.
- First wine stop. To kick off your wine hike we invite you to an appetizer and a glass of champagne. Crossing through town you will arrive in the vineyards. Wine in the Black Forest grows on hillsides – which means there is quite a bit of elevation to this tour.
- Second wine stop. A walk through the vineyards will bring you to the next stop – a restaurant overlooking the wine area. This is a busy place on weekends – great way to do some local-watching
- Third wine stop. Now it is up up up the hill. After a steep climb up the vineyards you get to walk through portions of the Black Forest – a great way to cool down. The next stop offers a surprise – an old castle ruin!
- Fourth wine stop. This is easy – a straight shot down the vineyards back into town. Time for dessert!
- More wine stops. There are many more interesting stops on the wine trail for you – at the last stop you will also enjoy a cheese tasting. We recommend exploring all of them – today is a good day to see how the locals live.
- Final stop: your hotel is awaiting you in the evening with a small Black Forest ‘Vesper’ platter – a typical local specialty locals eat in the evening.
Day 3: Departure Day
Not sure if the Wine Trail is a good fit for you? Contact us!