Our Train & Hike Package allows you to sample the many different environments of The Black Forest all in one go. The Black Forest has very diverse terrains and typical tours only expose you to one area. This package will immerse you in the full range of the 3 different terrains, each having their own unique forests, mountains, waterfalls, rivers & valleys. More on these below…
You’ll stay in 3 beautiful Black Forest towns. We get you to your next hotel by train. We take care of all the details so you can enjoy a stress-free time in nature with lots of local culture in between. You are going to love it.
Train & Hike: Best of the Black Forest is available from May to October
- All Logistics Included
- Start in Baden-Baden
- End in Freiburg
- 3 Black Forest towns
- Family-owned hotels
- Starting at 5 days/6 nights
- Shorter package of 3 days/4 nights available upon request
- Train fair included
- Trails of different lengths and levels
- Lots of other options to choose from (e.g. sightseeing instead of hiking)
- Add-on more days
- Hotel upgrades possible
Is this a good hiking package for me?
What a great way to get off the beaten path! With our Train & Hike Package you get to explore the Black Forest by train and on foot. You are now able to experience the entirety of The Black Forest in one tour, that was not previously possible.
The Black Forest is a mountain range covering more than 6000 square km with 21,000 km of trails. Due to its size, most visitors can only visit one particular area on one trip. But with this multiple day hiking package, you can experience the full scope of its terrain and culture in a relatively short time.
With our Train & Hike Package you get to experience the best the Black Forest has to offer which samples the Northern Black Forest with its dense and dark forest, the Central Black Forest with its farmland and picturesque green meadows, and the Southern Black Forest with its alpine mountains, highland orchards, its steep ravines and waterfalls.
The rail lines of The Black Forest are historic. Black Forest Railway was a feat of engineering in its day. It will provide a relaxing way to see the scenery that is still just as stunning today as it was in the 1800s.
This Train & Hike Package allows you to visit the larger cities of Baden-Baden and Freiburg. Explore one city prior to your hike and the other at the exit. And to make it stress-free, we are always just a phone call away.
What’s included in our Train & Hike Package?
- Welcome Package
- Accommodation for 6 nights in 3 hotels
- Experience 3 very different cultures of Black Forest towns – one in the remote north, one in a valley of the Central Black Forest, and one in the mountains of the South.
- Double Rooms with en-suite Bathroom and Breakfast
- Includes train and bus fare between hotels
- Ride the historic Black Forest Railway
- Pick from several day hikes available from each location, depending on your fitness level. Or simply go sightseeing if you don’t feel like hiking on a particular day – there is still plenty to see off the trails.
- Telephone support during your stay
- Help with train connections, you will know exactly how to get from one hotel to the next. You will not be getting lost.
- Add-ons: guided tours, meet & greet by our staff, reservation at restaurants, chauffeur transfers to/from airports or other cities, additional nights, etc.
Outline of our Train & Hike Package
Arrival Day in the Northern Black Forest Read More
- Arrive in the Black Forest by train. We recommend heading to Baden-Baden first. Explore town on your own. Then take the train to get up into the mountains where your hiking vacation starts.
- Train ride: Your hotel can easily be reached from Baden-Baden in about 1 hour 15 minutes by train (switch trains once).
- Town: You are staying in a small mountain town with plenty of good restaurants. Recommendation: This area has several Michelin Star restaurants. If food is important to you, we can try to get a reservation for you with advanced notice.
- Hotel: a typical family-owned hotel with easy access to the town centre.
Day 1: Hiking Day Read More
- There are several day hikes to choose from. All of them will take you by a typical cabin for lunch. The hikes are usually 12 km in lengths, but there are shorter options available also.
Day 2: Transfer to the Central Black Forest Read More
- Mid-Day you will take a train to a town in the Central Black Forest.
- Train Ride: The train ride takes about 1 hour 15 minutes (switch trains once).
- Town: This valley is known for having some of the most beautiful towns, many of them boasting timber-framed buildings and pretty views. This town has remnants of its fortifications from medieval days.
- Hotel: Your hotel is located right behind the medieval towngate – with easy access to shops and restaurants. A typical town locals love to come to – and still a bit undiscovered by tourists.
- Overnight in the Central Black Forest
Day 3: Hiking Day Read More
- Great selection of day hikes today! Most trails are ‘local trails’ – passing by many typical sights. You will have the option to stop by a typcial farmhouse refrigerator if this is something you want to experience. This area is also great for sightseeing (cuckoo clocks!) if you decide to skip your hike today.
- Overnight in the Central Black Forest
Day 4: Transfer to the Southern Black Forest Read More
- Today you will ride the famous Black Forest Railway – many train enthusiasts come to the Black Forest to just ride this trainline, it is very special.
- Train Ride: The train ride to your next hotel takes 2 horus 30 minutes (switch trains twice). If you don’t want to spend that much time on a train we can arrange for a pickup to shorten the time on the train.
- Town: Tonight you are staying in a pretty mountain town well known amongst Germans for its climate and hiking trails.
- Hotel: Your hotel is located in the heart of town, with easy access to hiking trails.
- Overnight in the Sorthern Black Forest
Day 5: Hiking Day Read More
- Great selection of day hikes! Our most popular hike is only 8 km long but will take you all day to finish. Besides the classic, dark Black Forest gorge hike next to waterfalls, you get a lot of Black Forest history, a few touristy things, the oldest chapel in the Black Forest, the areas largest cuckoo clock. And the option to have a beer in a typical Black Forest inn. This hike takes you down into a valley famous for its ancient mills that once made everything from rope to spoons. You will see how people thrived hundreds of years ago. Other hikes take you to the highest mountain of the Black Forest where you have the choice of taking a cable car up the mountain to shorten your 16 km hike.
Departure Day Read More
Check-out at the hotel is at 11 AM, but you can certainly extend your stay in this town. Then take a train to Freiburg (40 minute train ride, direct train). If you have not had a chance to see Freiburg yet we recommend storing your luggage at the train station for a couple of hours to stroll through town.
Is this the right hiking package for me? Contact us for more information and help planning your Black Forest Hiking Tour.