Our Valley Trail runs along the foothills of the Black Forest. We have designed this hiking tour so you can experience this beautiful wine region. You spend your evenings in family-owned hotels, located in small Black Forest towns, with plenty of good restaurants and wineries. We provide orientation to the towns, so you can explore in the evenings. We can also arrange wine tastings or a wine dinners for you.
Even if you don’t like wine this is a a great hike. This area is a bit off-the-beaten path and you will really tour like a local. We also point out the must-see vista points. We even tell you where to find local schnapps-fountains – in which local farmers cool their privately distilled liquor for passers-by to imbibe. If you are lucky you may even happen upon a wine festival – perfect to mingle with locals.
Is this a good hike for me? The Valley Trail is a good hike if you are looking for fairly easy hikes with limited elevation. The superior hotels are located in typical small Black Forest towns where you can expect to interact with locals. Therefore this is a great tour if you are looking for some quiet time in nature, walks through vineyards with scenic views and experience see some beautiful wine towns of the Black forest. You will receive all trail information and maps from us.
Why we like this hike: This can be a good hike the ones preferring shorter walks – and wine! People who want to enjoy the scenery, the food, the wine, the hotels. The main purpose of this hike is to provide you with a real local experience, enjoying the local wines, the towns, the area.
Good to know: You are not so much into walking but like wine? We also offer Vacation Packages in the Wine Area focusing on wine tastings, wine hopping and dinners instead. Click here to find out more.
When to go. May to October is the best time to enjoy this hike.
Tour Suggestion (please inquire for other options)
2 Day Hike/3 Nights Hotel – 2 wine towns, 2 different hotels
- Day 1. Arrival in the Black Forest region by train/bus. The hotel is located in a beautiful wine town with easy access to restaurants and cafes. Explore town upon arrival.
- Day 2. Day in town. Go for a short wine hike (7 km) through the vineyards, covering a castle ruin and several options to stop for glass of wine.
- Day 3. After breakfast your luggage will be picked up by Black Forest Tours and taken to the next hotel. Today you are staying in a beautiful hotel in what is called the ‘Golden Village’ – a wine town which has received plenty of awards for their wines, especially their Rieslings. There is also a Michelin star restaurant in town if you are interested in gourmet food. Hike the wine trail to the next hotel (about 12 km), option to have a wine-tasting at the winery located inside a castle overlooking town.
- Day 4. Departure.
- Travel to and from Germany
- Lunches and dinners
- Travel insurance.
- Personal expenses such as drinks, telephone calls, extra transfers (such as by taxi or when not included in public transport pass), tips, etc.
Arriving by plane? Nearest airports are Basle/Mulhouse and Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden. Frankfurt and Zurich are also a good airports to fly in.
Arriving by train? Please ask us if you need help with train connections. You will want to take a train to Offenburg or Baden-Baden, then switch to the local train get you to your first hotel.
Prefer a transfer? Since our company is located in the Black Forest we can also provide a transfer by car.
Arriving by car? You can drive all the way to Gengenbach and leave your car at the last hotel. Then take the train to your first hotel for check-in.
What to Bring
We recommend you bring sturdy walking boots and walking socks, warm and waterproof clothes, a day pack, insect repellent, sun glasses, sun hat, sun block, rain gear, and a first-aid kit.
Make sure you have a travel insurance covering you against illness, injury and loss or damage to luggage. Ideally the insurance also covers the possibility of you having to cancel your vacation for any reason.