Our Wine Trail runs along the foothills of the Black Forest. We have designed this hiking tour so you can experience this beautiful wine region. You spend your evenings in small family-owned hotels, located in small Black Forest wine towns, with plenty of good restaurants and wineries. We provide orientation to the towns, so you can explore in the evenings. We can also arrange wine tastings or a wine dinners for you.
You have plenty of options to stop at local wineries for tastings. Even if you don’t like wine this is a a great hike anyway. This area is a bit off-the-beaten path and you will really tour like a local. We show you the must-see vista points, waterfalls undiscovered by the crowds, and local eateries not in the travel books. We even tell you where to find local schnapps-fountains – in which local farmers cool their privately distilled liquor for passers-by to imbibe. If you are lucky you may even happen upon a wine festival – perfect to mingle with locals.
Is this a good hike for me? The Wine Trail is a good hike if you are looking for fairly easy hikes with limited elevation. The hotels are located in typical small Black Forest towns where you can expect to interact with locals. Therefore this is a great tour if you are looking for some quiet time in nature, walks through vineyards with scenic views and experience see some beautiful wine towns of the Black forest. Add-on a wine dinner or a wine-tasting.
You will receive all trail information and maps from us.
How long? The Wine Trail is available as a 2, 3 or 4 day hiking package – depending on how much time you have available. If you just want to get a taste of the wine area, then the 2 day hike is ideal. We can also set up wine tastings and wine dinners for you. Just ask!
3 Day Wine Trail – 3 days hiking/4 nights hotel
- DAY 1 (arrival day): arrival by train in a small wine town at the base of the Black Forest. Check into your first family-owned hotel in town.
- Day 2 (first hike): Today you are hiking around town (10 km, shortcut to 5 km possible) because there is just so much to see and do here. You will hike up a hidden waterfall, stop at a farmer’s schnaps fountain to try his locally distilled liquor and go for a wine tasting at the local winery. Same town as the night before.
- DAY 3 (second hike): A hike of 12 km (7,5 miles) brings you to next wine town. Beautiful walk through vineyards, crossing through 2 small towns before ending at a restaurant on top of a hill where you enjoy a glass of wine. From here it is a short walk to your hotel (dinner included) – Night 3 at family-owned hotel.
- DAY 4 (third hike): After exploring the wine town a 14 km (9 miles) hike will take you through vineyards to a castle overlooking the wine region. Enjoy a glass of wine on the patio before heading into town where you are spending the night. Night 4 at family-owned hotel.
- DAY 5 (departure day): depart after breakfast by bus/train. Or extend your stay to enjoy this wine town also known as the ‘Golden Village’ due to the many wine awards their wineries have received.
How long? Depending on how much time you have available, we can organize a 2 to 4 day Wine Trail experience for you. Many visitors also include a ‘rest day’ in one of the wine towns to explore the towns and do some wine-tastings. We can schedule wine tastings or a wine dinner for you. Let us know if you have any special requests and we try to make it happen. You are staying in 3 beautiful wine towns located in the Baden Wine region at the base of the Black Forest. Luggage transfer organized by Black Forest Tours.
- Accommodation in two family-run hotels
- luggage transfer from hotel 1 to hotel 2
- Detailed route descriptions
- Maps of the walks.
- Additional nights
- Transfers from various cities by car/driver
- add on a wine dinner
- add on wine tasting
- Travel to and from Germany
- Lunches and dinners
- Travel insurance.
- Personal expenses such as drinks, telephone calls, extra transfers (such as by taxi or when not included in public transport pass), tips, etc.
When to go
The Wine Trail Package is available from May to mid-October.
Arriving by plane? Nearest airports are Basle/Mulhouse and Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden. Frankfurt and Zurich are also a good airports to fly in.
Arriving by train? Please ask us if you need help with train connections. You will want to take a train to Offenburg or Baden-Baden, then switch to the local train get you to your first hotel.
Prefer a transfer? Since our company is located in the Black Forest we can also provide a transfer by car.
Arriving by car? You can drive all the way to Gengenbach and leave your car at the last hotel. Then take the train to your first hotel for check-in.
What to Bring
We recommend you bring sturdy walking boots and walking socks, warm and waterproof clothes, a day pack, water bottle, insect repellent, sun glasses, sun hat, sun block, rain gear, compass, torch and a first-aid kit.
Make sure you have a travel insurance covering you against illness, injury and loss or damage to luggage. Ideally the insurance also covers the possibility of you having to cancel your vacation for any reason.