Our Paradise Walk runs along the foothills of the Black Forest. We have designed this walking tour so you can experience the beautiful valleys and towns of this area. You spend your evenings in family-owned hotels, located in small Black Forest towns, with plenty of good restaurants and wineries. We provide orientation to the towns, so you can explore in the evenings.
This area is a bit off-the-beaten path and you will really tour like a local. You will always stay close to towns, often walking through them. We show you the must-see vistas, waterfalls undiscovered by the crowds, and local eateries not in any travel books. We even tell you where to find a local schnapps-fountain where the farmer keeps his privately distilled liquor cool for you to sample while stopping by. If you are lucky you will even happen upon a wine festival.
Is this a good walk for me? Our Paradise Walk is a good walking holiday if you are looking for fairly easy walks with limited elevation. The hotels are located in typical small Black Forest towns where you can expect to interact with locals. Therefore this is a great tour if you are looking for some quiet time in nature, walks through vineyards with scenic views but also want to experience some beautiful towns. You will receive all trail information and maps from us.
Why we like this walk: This can be a good walk for the ones preferring shorter walks. People who want to enjoy the scenery, the food, the wine, the hotels. The main purpose of this walk is to provide you with a real local experience, with a focus on local towns. This is a good package if you are looking for a combination of good food and wine while walking through the vineyard region and surrounding hills. The hotels are located in typical small Black Forest towns where you will feel like a local in no time.
When to go. May to October is the best time to enjoy this walk
Tour Suggestion (please inquire for other options)
2 Day Hike/3 Nights Hotel – 2 towns, 2 different hotels
- Day 1. Arrival in the Black Forest region by train/bus. The hotel is located in a beautiful small Black Forest town with easy access to restaurants and cafes. Explore town upon arrival.
- Day 2. Day in town. Go for a short hike (7 km) around town, covering vineyards, a castle ruin and several options to stop for drink snack.
- Day 3. After breakfast your luggage will be picked up by Black Forest Tours and taken to the next hotel. Today you are staying in a beautiful hotel in what is called the ‘Golden Village’ – a Black Forest town which has received plenty of awards for their wines, especially their Rieslings. There is also a Michelin star restaurant in town if you are interested in gourmet food. Hike our Valley Trail to the next hotel (about 12 km), option to stop for lunch at a castle overlooking town.
- Day 4. Departure.
Good to know: This hike can easily be extended to make it a 4 day/5 night adventure
- Travel to and from Germany
- Lunches and dinners
- Travel insurance.
- Personal expenses such as drinks, telephone calls, extra transfers (such as by taxi or when not included in public transport pass), tips, etc.
Arriving by plane? Nearest airports are Basle/Mulhouse and Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden. Frankfurt and Zurich are also a good airports to fly in.
Arriving by train? Please ask us if you need help with train connections. You will want to take a train to Offenburg or Baden-Baden, then switch to the local train get you to your first hotel.
Prefer a transfer? Since our company is located in the Black Forest we can also provide a transfer by car.
Arriving by car? You can drive all the way to Gengenbach and leave your car at the last hotel. Then take the train to your first hotel for check-in.
What to Bring
We recommend you bring sturdy walking boots and walking socks, warm and waterproof clothes, a day pack, insect repellent, sun glasses, sun hat, sun block, rain gear, and a first-aid kit.
Make sure you have a travel insurance covering you against illness, injury and loss or damage to luggage. Ideally the insurance also covers the possibility of you having to cancel your vacation for any reason.