Our 3 Peaks Trail leads you across three of the highest mountains in the Black Forest. The trail has significant ascents and descents over daily distances of 20 to 26 km (12-17 miles). This trail is recommended only for experienced and fit hikers – who also appreciate the luxury of a hotel and good local food at the end of a long day.
The Black Forest is not what the English name suggests. It is not a single forest, but rather it is the name given to the mountainous region in the southwestern corner of Germany where 60% of the land is forested. This trail ascends three peaks, which are well above tree-line and descends into forested valleys in between. This hike offers views onto the Swiss Alps to the south and the French Vogues to the west. You spend your evenings at small family-owned hotels, some in beautiful small Black Forest towns and some located in the mountains.
Is this a good hike for me? The 3 Peaks Trail Package is a good choice if you are an experienced hiker looking for a challenging hike. We provide all trail information and maps and take care of your luggage transfer. The hiking package is available as a 2, 3 or 4 day hike. Four (4) days are required to ascend all 3 Mountain Peaks.
- the trail is available as a 2, 3 or 4 day hike. Only the 4 day hike covers all 3 mountain peaks
- average daily distance to cover: 20-25 km
- this hike is rated as difficult. Long distances and lots of elevation to climb!
3 Peaks Trail – 4 days hiking / 5 nights hotel
- Day 1. arrival in the Black Forest by train. Your hotel is located in the mountains, close to Lake Titisee. A 45 minute train ride away from Freiburg. Night at first hotel.
- Day 2. hike 21.3 km (13.5 miles) total. Today you will be hiking a portion of the famous Westweg Trail – one of the most famous hiking trails in Germany. You will cross over the highest mountain in the Black Forest (Feldberg). In summer this can be a busy trail- but no worries, you will soon get to areas almost no one visits. Night at second hotel.
- Day 3. hike 23 km (14 miles) total. Today’s hike will take you to a lesser-known mountain called Belchen. We show you off-the-beaten path trails with lots of elevation change! Night at third hotel.
- Day 4. hike 23 km (14 miles) total. Night at fourth hotel.
- Day 5. hike 18 km (11 miles) total. Or extend your hike to 26 km (16 miles). Crossing over the third mountain peak the hike will get you back to the area you started out from on your first day. A short bus ride will bring you back to your hotel. Night at fifth hotel.
- Day 6. departure from the Black Forest
- Accommodation for 5 nights (family-owned hotels)
- Breakfast buffet
- Transportation of one bag per person
- Free public transportation pass
- Detailed route descriptions
- Additional nights
- Transfers from various cities by car/driver
- Travel to and from Germany
- Lunches and dinners
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as drinks, telephone calls, extra transfers (such as by taxi or when not included in public transport pass), tips, etc.
- The Three Peaks Trail Package is available from May to mid-October.
Arriving by plane? Nearest airports are Basle/Mulhouse and Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden. Frankfurt and Zurich are also good.
Arriving by train? Please ask us if you need help with train connections. You will want to take a train to Freiburg, then switch to the local train taking you into the mountain area around Lake Titisee to your first hotel.
Prefer a Driver? We can provide limousine services (fee).
Arriving by car? You can drive all the way to the Lake Titisee area and leave your car at the first hotel. You will pick up the car at the end of your hiking tour again.
What to Bring
We recommend you bring sturdy walking boots and socks, swim suits, warm and waterproof clothes, a day pack, water bottle, insect repellent, sun glasses, sun hat, sun block, compass, flashlight/torch and a first-aid kit.
Make sure you have travel insurance covering you against illness, injury, loss or damage to property and cancellations.
If hiking in the Black Forest is part of a longer vacation, bringing all your gear in your luggage can be a problem. Many of our hikers just don’t have space. That’s why we provide you with the option to rent a sturdy day pack plus hiking poles (official Schwarzwaldverein “Black Forest Hiking Club” equipment). The pack & poles will be waiting for you at your first hotel and will be retrieved at your last hotel. Bonus! If you would like to keep your bag or poles because they will be so cool to show off back home, we will equip you with a brand-new set of bag/poles instead.
- Rental cost: 25€ for the duration of your hike
A few weeks prior to your hike we will check in to see if this option is for you. And! Free! A goodie-bag will also be waiting at your first hotel with lots of useful stuff for your hike – a thank you gift from Black Forest Tours for hiking with us.