Our Black Forest Trail is a customized, select portion of the famous Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage trail (ending in Spain). Our special package makes for fairly easy to medium trails with daily distances between 13 to 17 km (8-10.5 miles), some shortcuts possible. You spend your evenings at small family-owned hotels in beautiful small Black Forest towns. We provide guidance off the trail too, so you can make the most of your time while in town.
The Black Forest is not what the English name suggests. It is not a single forest, but rather it is the name given to the mountainous region in the southwestern corner of Germany. About 60% of the land is forest. Therefore there is also a lot of open country too. The terrain of the Central Black Forest (where this trail is located) is postcard perfect – composed of heavily forested mountains with steep ravines and farms in the valleys, which are further surrounded by orchards and vineyard lower down in the foothills.
Is this a good hike for me? The Black Forest Trail Package is a good choice if you are looking for intermediate hikes. Our hotels are located in small Black Forest towns. Therefore this is a great tour if you are looking for some quiet time in nature while also exploring beautiful medieval towns of the Black Forest.
We provide all trail information and maps and take care of your luggage transfer.
Submit your review
A friend and I wanted to spend a few days hiking in the Black Forest. We were happy to do a self guided hike but wanted some local advice and were finding it hard to get clear information. Until we found Simone! Wow, she solved everything. After checking our preferences, she organised our accommodation in lovely family run hotels, transferred our suitcases while we hiked, gave great food recommendations and very detailed instructions for four lovely days of hiking. The hikes weren't intense but were long and challenging enough to be satisfying while leaving some time to explore each new town we stayed at. Simone was extremely attentive to detail and clearly cares very much about her guests' experience. Excellent value and highly recommended!
Hello Simone,I was thinking to write you even before you ask to let you know how much we enjoyed the tour. My brother and I really appreciate the overall. We had a great experience. The organization was very good. The hotels were all welcoming. The best of all the hotels was the first hotel, what a wonderful experience. I could even picture myself staying two days there. We followed your recommendations in term of restaurants and we have never been disappointed. For the walking part, the landscapes were amazing. We have been lost a bit only once when we were close to arrive to the second hotel because of the explanations about going towards to Riegelsberg, then we checked the map (very useful indeed) and realize that we were going away from the destination.I will highly recommend your tour and think of your offers for another trek next year.Greetings from BerlinCatherine
Hi Simone,We have arrived at our last hotel after four fantastic days of walking. Thank you so much for the thought and attention you put into planning an excellent Black Forest hiking experience! The route was very well chosen, the instructions very detailed and it was a real pleasure walking the entire route.I think you have done a fantastic job of creating a very accessible, interesting and well planned hiking tour!You clearly care very much about your guests' experience, and we are VERY satisfied without Black Forest adventure!Best wishes,Helen
Hi Simone,Just wanted to let you know how much we enjoyed the hotel last night - wonderful facilities, people & food! We also had an most enjoyable hike today - excellent directions & perfect weather too!Looking forward to our hike tomorrow.Thank you,Barbara
Hi Simone,We had a great time and hiking on those peaceful trails was very relaxing. The provided directions and details were perfect, impossible to get lost. The trails were very beautiful and doable, even at our old (60+) age. We did not have to consider any of the possible shortcuts offered in the directions. The hotels were good and our luggage was always waiting for us at the next hotel. We will definitely try this again.Thank you.
Hi SimoneI had such a wonderful time, it did rain on the second day but only the first 20 minutes or so and it stopped as soon as I got to the forest. The hotels were great, I especially loved the last one. I will definitely do this again, you made it all very easy!Thank you again for all your help. Back to work today unfortunately!Kind regardsMarli
Had a really great time on my black forest tour. The hiking tours were a great mix of easy to moderate. I walked through some very beautiful spaces and loved the little towns I stayed in. Simone was so incredibly helpful and responsive even though I was booking very last minute. Can't thank her enough!
Hello Simone!Everything was really great and the hotels were very nice. Lovely staff and rooms. I was definitely very tired after the first day haha but I had a great time. Thank you thank you thank you!Sally
Helo Simone - Thanks again for all the help in putting together the hike. The four of us all really did have a blast. The hotels were brilliant. I am not sure what I was expecting as far as accommodations, but the first hotel in particular really surprised me. It could most certainly be called resort. My wife and I are trying to eat vegan, and the hotels were all very accommodating and by and large offered to cook something special for us every time. As a child I lived in that area, so was familiar with some of the area, but the medieval town on the last day was a place I had never visited. What a picturesque place! Truly beautiful and a great choice for finishing.The maps and details were most helpful and clearly took time to prepare. Thank you so much! One the whole though, brilliant! Thank you so much.Peace,
We wanted a 4 day hike in the Black Forest and found exactly what we were looking for with Black Forest Tours. None of our group of 4 had done a hike like this before and wanted some help setting it up. We received detailed instructions and maps that lead us along well marked trails through absolutely stunning scenery. We spent the nights in lovely and comfortable hotels, that were booked for us by Black Forest Tours. Each day our main luggage was transported for us to the next hotel. All we had to carry was a small day pack. What more could we want? We averaged about 15 kilometers a day, with varied paths and lots of hills, but no 'technical' climbing. The only special equipment we used was hiking poles, which can be rented from the company if you don't have any. You will need comfortable clothing and good walking/hiking shoes.All in all it was an amazing holiday, which we hope to repeat another year.
We're at the first hotel of our trip and it is stunning! Absolutely beautiful!! Thank you so much
Hi Simone,We loved the hike!!!! The scenery is so beautiful!!!! We loved not having to worry about our luggage or choosing hotels. Everything was so well organized. Thank youIn the end we hiked 72 kilometers instead of the about 60 that were planned as we somehow got off the trail a few times. I found the uphills a challenge, but so worth it. We belong to a walking club back home and we are going to recommend that they all do this hike!! (maybe as a group). We are so excited about how great it was, that people want to know the details!On day 2 we started in rain but soon walked into sun! I had to take a picture because it was one of those moments along the trail that was just a classic Black Forest Hiking moment. It looked like the kind of spot that I saw years ago in a brochure about hiking in the Black Forest! That amazing moment when you come out of the forest and it seems the whole Black Forest is spread out in front of you.Generally, the instructions were excellent and we really appreciated the details and pictures. Thank you.It was an amazing hiking holiday and we all really loved it. My husband and I had never been to this part of Germany before and were really delighted with it.Thanks again. It was amazing!!! It was all I could have hoped a Black Forest Hike could be!Valerie
Hi Simone,We had an absolutely fantastic time in the Black Forest and really enjoyed hiking the trail both days. Hotels were good with nice breakfast and friendly service in all of them. The last town was beautiful and a really nice place to finish the hike.We only wish we had more time there to hike a few more days and we will definitely be back!Thank youNathan
Hi Simone,We absolutely LOVED our Black Forest trail experience, really truly it was one of the best things we've ever done on holiday - and are so inspired to come back for more. So many magnificent scenes and breathtaking vistas on the hikes, and the accommodation was all really great. We managed to complete both days in full (our leg muscles are very sore today though!).We sincerely thank you for the upgrade at our last hotel too, that was so special and the best thing to conclude the trip. The humidity was very intense that day, so we arrived to our welcome champagne as "two tired hot sweaty (happy) messes"! The room was amazing and the facilities were heaven.Thank you once again Simone, it was the experience of a lifetime and we really appreciate your time & efforts organising it for us. We will highly recommend you to anyone planning a holiday in Germany.All the best,Catalina and Sami
What a great trip! Simone organised an excellent hiking trip for me and my 15 year old son. She was helpful and responsive. It was a trip with fantastic scenery, great food and quaint towns.
Three of us did the Black Forest Trail; which, involved 4 days of hiking and 5 nights in hotels. If I could give this experience a 6 out of 5 stars, I would! We had such an amazing time and saw the beautiful landscapes of the Black Forest in a way that merely driving through could not provide.Communication with Simone was amazing. During my planning (as well as during the hike) she would email me back information so quickly, that I began to wonder if she wasn't permanently adhered to her phone. This made things so much easier in the planning stages.Everything went seamlessly before and during the trip. A very detailed package that was emailed to me outlined the trip. The entire trip, water bottles, a hat, and even nut snacks were in our room when we arrived. The details and even pictures of the trail and the way to go was very easy to follow. Following the trails and navigating through the cities were outlined in maps as well as verbalized directions and pictures. For those wanting to do a trip like this, remember to trust the directions, they are correct even if you think you might be going the wrong way! We did this and veered-off the assigned path; but, it's easy to backtrack or follow a different way to get where you need to go.The transfer of luggage from hotel to hotel was excellent! We never worried about anything being stolen from the luggage, as all the hotel patrons are very trustworthy. We never had an issue with the luggage and it was always at the hotel before we arrived. Sometimes, it was even placed in our assigned rooms! The hotels we were booked into were also excellent. Spacious, comfortable, clean and breakfast every morning was a treat. The hot showers after a hike and comfortable beds made us feel spoiled!The hikes themselves are beautiful. From stunning landscapes overlooking villages and towns to old castle ruins and old hiker chapels, the hikes provided everything we needed. Even a lovely foot soaking station and schnapps fountain could be found on the trail! A couple farms have also provided fridges with beer, water, juice, and snacks for a cheap cost. We looked very forward to these and are very appreciative of the farmers providing this service...especially during a heat-wave. Nothing soothes the soul more than a cool drink of Apfelschorle, home-baked cookies, a bench, and a beautiful pastoral view.I highly recommend Black Forest Tours for your next trip.Visited July 2017
If you're going to spend a few days in the Black Forest, make sure you engage Simone as your guide. Every detail was taken care of--carefully labeled maps, thoughtful hotels, food and drink suggestions, and up-to-the-minute trail details. Thanks, Simone!
Hello Simone-The hiking tour was excellent--thank you! It was one of the highlights to our trip to Germany.The maps were very clear and well-labeled, which was very helpful. I can tell you put a lot of work into keeping current on what the trail conditions are. The color photos of the intersections telling precisely where to go are particularly useful.All the staff at the hotels were friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were excellent. Hotel Blume, however, was the highlight--their new addition is very comfortable and was a great place to start the hike.Thank you again for your help--I have recommended your service to a few of my friends here in California who also enjoy hiking in Europe.Best regards,Mike
Hello Simone,We are at the Hotel Alder right now and it is wonderful. You have done a fantastic job with the welcome package, maps, etc. Thank-you!Alice
I cant get over how well documented this hiking package is. I expected a map and a few paragraphs about the trail. Instead they document every trail sign, every place to eat along the trail. Simply Amazing detail. Worth every penny.
Hi Simone,I really enjoyed my hike in the Black Forest - it was so beautiful and warm!All of the hotels and staff were lovely; I can speak german however so I don't have any feedback on communicating with them in english! The rooms, breakfasts and facilities were all lovely and check in was easy. Thank you for booking such lovely hotels!Your directions were really clear and easy to follow, thank you! The guide was incredibly helpful and I had a great time on my walk.Thank you again.Warmest regards,Jaslyn
Hi Simone, We made it to our last hotel. We got rained on only a little today, so all-in-all we've been lucky with the weather. It's been a really beautiful hike.Best,Megan
4 Day Black Forest Trail – 4 days hiking / 5 nights hotel
- start: Monday – Thursday.
- Day 1. arrival in the Black Forest, you are 45 minutes away from Offenburg. Check-in hotel
- Day 2. hike 15 km total. Shortcut to 7 km hike/4 miles plus 5 min train ride
- Day 3. hike 17 km total. Shortcut to 11 km/7 miles hike plus 5 min train ride
- Day 4. hike 13 km total.
- Day 5. hike 17 km total. Shortcut to 11 km/7 miles hike
- Day 6. departure from the Black Forest
- DAY 1 (arrival day): Arrive in the Black Forest by train. We organize your transportation from the train station to your 4 star wellness hotel. We recommend arriving by lunch time, because a small lunch buffet is included in your package; served from 12.30-2.30 PM. In the afternoon there is also complimentary cake & coffee. You can use the wellness facilities while your rooms are prepared (available at 3 PM). If you are arriving by car, you can park close to your final hotel and take the train to your first hotel; a 20 minute train ride.
- DAY 2 (first hike): Enjoy your breakfast buffet. Check-out time is 11 AM. Many visitors like to enjoy the wellness facilities in the morning and start hiking by 11 AM. Today’s hike is 15 km total. If you prefer a shorter hike there is an option to cut the hike short at 7 km and hop on the train. This is a really smooth stretch of your tour. Your hike starts in front of your hotel. From here, you will be hiking down from the top of the mountain into the valley – a bit steep 7 km – but in absolutely beautiful terrain. Now if you time it right, you can get refreshed at the beergarden in the valley. And if you are too tired or relaxed after your respite, you have the option to skip the remaining hike and jump on the train to your hotel. Real hikers continue on of course – crossing over another mountain. You will be rewarded with a beautiful chapel and the best vistas of the day as you descend the hillside into town to your hotel. Upon arrival at your destination you can check into your hotel (after 2 PM), then stroll through town or enjoy a piece of Black Forest cake in a nearby cafe. If you cut your hike short and arrive in town even earlier, this could also be a good day to do some other sightseeing. The popular open-air farmhouse museum Vogtsbauernhof and the cuckoo clock area are 30-45 minutes away (free on public transportation). If you are interested in glass-blowing you can visit the museum to blow your own glass vase! At the end of your day you stay at a small family-run hotel right in the heart of this small Black Forest town.
- DAY 3 (second hike): Today’s hike has two parts. We encourage you to do both parts, of course. Part 1 (6 km): This is a short, but a bit steep climb up and over a mountain, mostly on small trails. On top of the mountain you stop at a cabin with fantastic vistas overlooking the valley. Part 2 (11 km): This section of the hike starts off with a castle ruin and a small chapel. You can enjoy a self-serve fridge at a farmhouse before climbing up a sightseeing tower. The hike down the mountain to your hotel has another surprise: a small chapel with miniature Black Forest mills on display. Tonight you are staying at a wellness hotel with an excellent restaurant. It is only a short walk from the town center.
- DAY 4 (third hike): Today’s hike is short and easy (13 km). There is a constant climb at the beginning. Once you are on the summit you can enjoy views over the valley. From there the trails take you down into the town you are staying at. On a clear day this hike provides you with plenty of panoramic views and an option to stop for lunch at local restaurant. In the evening you stay at a family run hotel with a swimming pool; have dinner at the hotel or explore restaurants in town.
- DAY 5 (fourth hike): We saved the best for last. This trail has it all with scenic spots, a cabin, a schnapps fountain, vineyards, 2 restaurants, 1 café, and a possible shortcut which saves 6 km ( if you must ). In your last town you have the option to upgrade to a 4 star hotel.
- DAY 6 (departure day): People often add on an additional day in this town to do some sightseeing – the cuckoo clock area is nearby too.
2 Day Black Forest Trail – 2 days hiking / 3 nights hotel
- start: any day (hiking during the weekend depends on availability of the hotels)
- Day 1. arrival in the Black Forest, you are 30 minutes away from Offenburg. Check-in hotel
- Day 2. hike 13 km total.
- Day 3. hike 17 km total. Shortcut to 11 km/7 miles hike
- Day 4. departure from the Black Forest
- DAY 1 (arrival day): Arrive in the Black Forest by train. Our hotel is only a short 15 minute walk from the train station. We can also organize your transportation from the train station to the hotel. If you are arriving by car, you can park close to your final hotel and take the train to your first hotel.
- DAY 2 (first hike): Today’s hike is short and easy (13 km). There is a constant climb at the beginning. Once you are on the summit you can enjoy views over the valley. From there the trails take you down into the town you are staying at. On a clear day this hike provides you with plenty of panoramic views and an option to stop for lunch at local restaurant. In the evening you stay at a family run hotel with a swimming pool; have dinner at the hotel or explore restaurants in town.
- DAY 3 (third hike): We saved the best for last. This trail has it all with scenic spots, a cabin, a schnapps fountain, vineyards, 2 restaurants, 1 café, and a possible shortcut which saves 6 km ( if you must ). In your last town you have the option to upgrade to a 4 star hotel.
- DAY 4 (departure day): People often add on an additional day in this town to do some sightseeing – the cuckoo clock area is nearby too.
Hotel 3 (first hotel on 2-Day hike)
Hotel 4 (second hotel on 2-Day hike)
Hotel 5 (third hotel on 2-Day hike)
Wanting to upgrade hotels? All our hotels are small family-owned hotels. They are not fancy hotels, but clean and very friendly hotels. Most often you will meet some of the owners during your stay. Most hotels are either in middle of a cute Black Forest town, or within easy walking distance to the town. For a small upgrade fee we offer an upgrade in some (not all) hotels. If luxury hotels are important to you have a look at the Red Deer Trail Package instead.
All rooms have private en-suite bathrooms.
Double Rooms. If you are booking a double room there is one double bed with 2 individual mattresses (not 2 twin beds). If you require separate beds we recommend booking 2 separate rooms.
Single Rooms. If you are traveling by yourself we charge a single room supplement. You will either be provided with a single room. Or with a double room for single use – based on availability.
Wi-Fi and Cell phone coverage
- Mobile Phone Coverage. Please note that the Black Forest is a mountainous area. Often there is no mobile phone coverage when hiking the Black Forest.
- Wi-Fi. All of our hotels have wi-fi but sometimes it can be spotty in your room – depending on the location of your room.
If you require constant online access we do NOT recommend hiking the Black Forest. Consider staying in a large town like Baden-Baden or Freiburg instead.
Summers can be very warm. Most hotels in Germany do not have any air-conditioning. Sometimes hotels can provide a fan for your room. Usually the hotel owners will tell you to sleep with the window open during the night – this is very common in Germany.
Hotel Restaurants & Meals
Restaurants. All hotels have a restaurant on site also (not all are open every day). Most often there are other restaurants within walking distance of your hotel.
Are meals included with your booking?
- Breakfast is included with your booking.
- Lunch is NOT included. Lunch packages can be purchased at each hotel on the day of your hike (5-7 Euro per person).
- Dinner is not included. It can be purchased separately each evening
Your luggage transfer is organized by us, Black Forest Tours. We ask you to use the luggage tags you receive at the beginning of your tour to identify your luggage. When checking out of each hotel please drop off your luggage at the front desk. The hotel owner will know that your bag has to be transferred to the next hotel.
- Accommodation for 3 to 5 nights (family-owned hotels and one 4 star hotel)
- Breakfast buffet
- Transportation of one bag per person
- Free public transportation pass
- Detailed route descriptions
- Additional nights
- Transfers from various cities by car/driver
- Travel to and from Germany
- Lunches and dinners
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as drinks, telephone calls, extra transfers (such as by taxi or when not included in public transport pass), tips, etc.
- The Black Forest Trail Package is available from mid-April to mid-October.
Arriving by plane? Nearest airports are Basle/Mulhouse and Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden. Frankfurt and Zurich are also good.
Arriving by train? Please ask us if you need help with train connections. You will want to take a train to Offenburg or Freudenstasdt, then switch to the local train taking you into the Kinzig Valley to your first hotel.
Prefer a Driver? We can provide limousine services (fee).
Arriving by car? You can drive all the way to Gengenbach and leave your car at the last hotel. Then take the train to your first hotel for check-in.
What to Bring
We recommend you bring sturdy walking boots and socks, swim suits, warm and waterproof clothes, a day pack, water bottle, insect repellent, sun glasses, sun hat, sun block, compass, flashlight/torch and a first-aid kit.
Make sure you have travel insurance covering you against illness, injury, loss or damage to property and cancellations.
If hiking in the Black Forest is part of a longer vacation, bringing all your gear in your luggage can be a problem. Many of our hikers just don’t have space. That’s why we provide you with the option to rent a sturdy day pack plus hiking poles (official Schwarzwaldferein “Black Forest Hiking Club” equipment). The pack & poles will be waiting for you at your first hotel and will be retrieved at your last hotel. Bonus! If you would like to keep your bag or poles because they will be so cool to show off back home, we will equip you with a brand-new set of bag/poles instead.
- Rental cost: 25€ for the duration of your hike
A few weeks prior to your hike we will check in to see if this option is for you. And! Free! A goodie-bag will also be waiting at your first hotel with lots of useful stuff for your hike – a thank you gift from Black Forest Tours for hiking with us.