Our Black Forest Trail is a customized, select portion of the famous Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage trail (ending in Spain). Our special package makes for fairly easy to medium trails with daily distances between 13 to 17 km (8-10.5 miles), some shortcuts possible. You spend your evenings at family-run 3 star (and one 4 star) hotels in beautiful small Black Forest towns. We provide guidance off the trail too, so you can make the most of your time while in town.
The Black Forest is not what the English name suggests. It is not a single forest, but rather it is the name given to the mountainous region in the southwestern corner of Germany. About 60% of the land is forest. Therefore there is also a lot of open country too. The terrain of the Central Black Forest (where this trail is located) is postcard perfect – composed of heavily forested mountains with steep ravines and farms in the valleys, which are further surrounded by orchards and vineyard lower down in the foothills.
Is this a good hike for me? The Black Forest Trail Package is a good choice if you are looking for intermediate hikes. Our hotels are located in small Black Forest towns. Therefore this is a great tour if you are looking for some quiet time in nature while also exploring beautiful medieval towns of the Black Forest.
We provide all trail information and maps and take care of your luggage transfer.
Submit your review
I cant get over how well documented this hiking package is. I expected a map and a few paragraphs about the trail. Instead they document every trail sign, every place to eat along the trail. Simply Amazing detail. Worth every penny.
Detailed itinerary – Full Black Forest Trail
- DAY 1 (arrival day): Arrive in the Black Forest by train. We organize your transportation from the train station to your 4 star wellness hotel. We recommend arriving by lunch time, because a small lunch buffet is included in your package; served from 12.30-2.30 PM. In the afternoon there is also complimentary cake & coffee. You can use the wellness facilities while your rooms are prepared (available at 3 PM). If you are arriving by car, you can park close to your final hotel and take the train to your first hotel; a 20 minute train ride.
- DAY 2 (first hike): Enjoy your breakfast buffet. Check-out time is 11 AM. Many visitors like to enjoy the wellness facilities in the morning and start hiking by 11 AM. Today’s hike is 15 km total. If you prefer a shorter hike there is an option to cut the hike short at 7 km and hop on the train. This is a really smooth stretch of your tour. Your hike starts in front of your hotel. From here, you will be hiking down from the top of the mountain into the valley – a bit steep 7 km – but in absolutely beautiful terrain. Now if you time it right, you can get refreshed at the beergarden in the valley. And if you are too tired or relaxed after your respite, you have the option to skip the remaining hike and jump on the train to your hotel. Real hikers continue on of course – crossing over another mountain. You will be rewarded with a beautiful chapel and the best vistas of the day as you descend the hillside into town to your hotel. Upon arrival at your destination you can check into your hotel (after 2 PM), then stroll through town or enjoy a piece of Black Forest cake in a nearby cafe. If you cut your hike short and arrive in town even earlier, this could also be a good day to do some other sightseeing. The popular open-air farmhouse museum Vogtsbauernhof and the cuckoo clock area are 30-45 minutes away (free on public transportation). If you are interested in glass-blowing you can visit the museum to blow your own glass vase! At the end of your day you stay at a small family-run hotel right in the heart of this small Black Forest town. If you prefer to stay at a wellness hotel instead, you have the option to upgrade. This designer hotel is located 1.5 km outside of town.
- DAY 3 (second hike): Today’s hike has two parts. We encourage you to do both parts, of course. Part 1 (6 km): This is a short, but a bit steep climb up and over a mountain, mostly on small trails. On top of the mountain you stop at a cabin with fantastic vistas overlooking the valley. Part 2 (11 km): This section of the hike starts off with a castle ruin and a small chapel. You can enjoy a self-serve fridge at a farmhouse before climbing up a sightseeing tower. The hike down the mountain to your hotel has another surprise: a small chapel with miniature Black Forest mills on display. Tonight you are staying at a wellness hotel with an excellent restaurant. It is only a short walk from the town center.
- DAY 4 (third hike): Today’s hike is short and easy (13 km). There is a constant climb at the beginning. Once you are on the summit you can enjoy views over the valley. From there the trails take you down into the town you are staying at. On a clear day this hike provides you with plenty of panoramic views and an option to stop for lunch at local restaurant. In the evening you stay at a family run hotel with a swimming pool; have dinner at the hotel or explore restaurants in town.
- DAY 5 (fourth hike): We saved the best for last. This trail has it all with scenic spots, a cabin, a schnapps fountain, vineyards, 2 restaurants, 1 café, and a possible shortcut which saves 6 km ( if you must ). In your last town you have the option to upgrade to a 4 star hotel.
- DAY 6 (departure day): People often add on an additional day in this town to do some sightseeing – the cuckoo clock area is nearby too.
The Full Black Forest Trail: 4 days of hiking, 5 nights hotel
- Day 1. arrival in the Black Forest, you are 45 minutes away from Offenburg. Check-in hotel
- Day 2. hike 15 km total. Shortcut to 7 km hike/4 miles plus 5 min train ride
- Day 3. hike 17 km total. Shortcut to 11 km/7 miles hike plus 5 min train ride
- Day 4. hike 13 km total.
- Day 5. hike 17 km total. Shortcut to 11 km/7 miles hike
- Day 6. departure from the Black Forest
How long? The Black Forest Trail is available as a 2 to 4 day hiking package.
The Full Package: 4 days of hiking, 5 nights hotel
- Ideal starting day: Monday- Thursday.
The Short Package: 3 days of hiking, 4 nights hotel
- Start with second hike shown on the left
- Ideal starting day: Tuesday-Sunday
The Mini Package: 2 days of hiking, 3 nights hotel
- Start with third hike shown on the left
- start any day
Hotel 1: 4 star hotel with wellness area and pool. This hotel is in the middle of the Black Forest. The transfer from the train station to your hotel by car is included at no additional charge.
- Free lunch buffet on arrival day
- Coffee/cake in the afternoon of arrival day
- Wellness, pool & sauna
- Hotel has no cell phone reception
- Check-in 12.30 PM (room available at 3 PM), check-out 11 AM
Hotel 2: Family run 3 star hotel in the heart of the old town.
- Hotel restaurant closed on Mondays
- check-in 2 PM, check-out 11 AM
Hotel 3: Family run 3 star hotel in walking distance to town
- Wellness, pool & sauna
- Check-in 3 PM, check-out 11 AM
- Upgrade to a brand new section of the hotel possible (fee)
Hotel 4: Family-run 3 star hotel in town
- Pool & sauna
- Check-in 1 PM, check-out 11 AM
Hotel 5: Family-run 3 star hotel in the middle of the old town.
- Upgrade to 4 star hotel possible (fee)
- Upgrade to hotel with swimming pool possible (fee)
Hotels: You are staying at small 3 star family-run hotels (one 4 star hotel). All hotels are either in middle of a cute Black Forest town, or within easy walking distance to the town. If star hotels are important to you and you prefer 4 star hotels, have a look at the Red Deer Trail Package as another option.
Good to know: Included with each night is a German breakfast buffet. All hotel have wi-fi and private bathrooms. All hotels have a restaurant on site also (not all are open every day). Most often there are other restaurants within walking distance of your hotel.
Like to be pampered? We offer an upgraded version of our hiking packages for an additional 100€ per person. We can upgrade 2 of your rooms/hotels – please inquire for details.
- Accommodation for 3 to 5 nights (3 star hotels and one 4 star hotel)
- Breakfast buffet
- Daily luggage transfer of 1 bag of up to 20 kg per person
- Free public transportation pass
- Detailed route descriptions
- Additional nights
- Transfers from various cities by car/driver
- Travel to and from Germany
- Lunches and dinners
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as drinks, telephone calls, extra transfers (such as by taxi or when not included in public transport pass), tips, etc.
- The Black Forest Trail Package is available from mid-April to mid-October.
Arriving by plane? Nearest airports are Basle/Mulhouse and Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden. Frankfurt and Zurich are also good.
Arriving by train? Please ask us if you need help with train connections. You will want to take a train to Offenburg or Freudenstasdt, then switch to the local train taking you into the Kinzig Valley to your first hotel.
Prefer a Driver? We can provide limousine services (fee).
Arriving by car? You can drive all the way to Gengenbach and leave your car at the last hotel. Then take the train to your first hotel for check-in.
What to Bring
We recommend you bring sturdy walking boots and socks, swim suits, warm and waterproof clothes, a day pack, water bottle, insect repellent, sun glasses, sun hat, sun block, compass, flashlight/torch and a first-aid kit.
Make sure you have travel insurance covering you against illness, injury, loss or damage to property and cancellations.
If hiking in the Black Forest is part of a longer vacation, bringing all your gear in your luggage can be a problem. Many of our hikers just don’t have space. That’s why we provide you with the option to rent a sturdy day pack plus hiking poles (official Schwarzwaldferein “Black Forest Hiking Club” equipment). The pack & poles will be waiting for you at your first hotel and will be retrieved at your last hotel. Bonus! If you would like to keep your bag or poles because they will be so cool to show off back home, we will equip you with a brand-new set of bag/poles instead.
- Rental cost: 25€ for the duration of your hike
A few weeks prior to your hike we will check in to see if this option is for you. And! Free! A goodie-bag will also be waiting at your first hotel with lots of useful stuff for your hike – a thank you gift from Black Forest Tours for hiking with us.