The Amazing Trail combines two of our most scenic and popular trails in the Southern Black Forest. This is a package for all hikers ( as well as the experienced hiker who prefers to take it easy for a change ). This trail will take you on hikes averaging 8-10 km a day. You spend your evenings at family-owned hotels in typical Black Forest towns. We provide guidance off the trail too, so you can make the most of your time while in town.
The Black Forest is not what the English name suggests. It is not a single forest, but rather it is the name given to the southwest mountainous region in Germany. About 60% of the land is forest. This forested area is generally 1500 feet above sea level, with the highest mountain peaks just under 5000 feet. The terrain of the Northern Black Forest is composed of rounded mountain peaks surrounded by thick forests, grasslands, moors with steep ravines, which are further surrounded by orchards and vineyard lower down in the western foothills – picture perfect – as you will see.
Is this a good hike for me? The Amazing Trail Package is perfect if you are looking for a short get-away into nature and immerse yourself in Black Forest culture. You are only minutes away from civilization, but surrounded by some of the most dramatic scenery found in the Southern Black Forest. Great hike for beginners who prefer less elevation and a great trail for anyone wanting to take-in the Black Forest in a carefree way.
We provide all trail information and maps and take care of your luggage transfer.
The Amazing Trail – 2 days hiking / 3 nights hotel
- Day 1. arrival in the Black Forest, you are 45 minutes away from Freiburg by bus. Check-in hotel
- Day 2. hike 8-10 km total. Same hotel as night 1
- Day 3. Today you are taking a short ride on the Panorama bus taking you to another pretty Black Forest mountain town. From here you start your 8-10 km day hike. You have the option to extend your hike for several km to visit a local farmhouse restaurant. Overnight in a Black Forest monastery town. You luggage is waiting for you at the hotel already.
- Day 4. depart to Freiburg.
Hotel Night 1 and 2
Hotel Night 3
All rooms have private en-suite bathrooms.
Double Rooms. If you are booking a double room there is one double bed with 2 individual mattresses (not 2 twin beds). If you require separate beds we recommend booking 2 separate rooms.
Single Rooms. If you are traveling by yourself we charge a single room supplement. You will either be provided with a single room. Or with a double room for single use – based on availability.
Wi-Fi and Cell phone coverage
- Mobile Phone Coverage. Please note that the Black Forest is a mountainous area. Often there is no mobile phone coverage when hiking the Black Forest.
- Wi-Fi. All of our hotels have wi-fi but sometimes it can be spotty in your room – depending on the location of your room.
If you require constant online access we do NOT recommend hiking the Black Forest. Consider staying in a large town like Baden-Baden or Freiburg instead.
Summers can be very warm. Most hotels in Germany do not have any air-conditioning. Sometimes hotels can provide a fan for your room. Usually the hotel owners will tell you to sleep with the window open during the night – this is very common in Germany.
Hotel Restaurants & Meals
Restaurants. All hotels have a restaurant on site also (not all are open every day). Most often there are other restaurants within walking distance of your hotel.
Are meals included with your booking?
- Breakfast is included with your booking.
- Lunch is NOT included. Lunch packages can be purchased at each hotel on the day of your hike (5-7 Euro per person).
- Dinner is not included. It can be purchased separately each evening
Your luggage transfer is organized by us, Black Forest Tours. We ask you to use the luggage tags you receive at the beginning of your tour to identify your luggage. When checking out of each hotel please drop off your luggage at the front desk. The hotel owner will know that your bag has to be transferred to the next hotel.
- Accommodation for 3 nights (family-owned hotels)
- Breakfast buffet
- Luggage transfer
- Free public transportation pass
- Detailed route descriptions
- Additional nights
- Transfers from various cities by car/driver
- Travel to and from Germany
- Lunches and dinners
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as drinks, telephone calls, extra transfers (such as by taxi or when not included in public transport pass), tips, etc.
- The Black Forest Trail Package is available from mid-April to mid-October.
Arriving by plane? Nearest airports are Basle/Mulhouse and Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden. Frankfurt and Zurich are also good.
Arriving by train? Please ask us if you need help with train connections. You will want to take a train to Offenburg or Freudenstasdt, then switch to the local train taking you into the Kinzig Valley to your first hotel.
Prefer a Driver? We can provide limousine services (fee).
Arriving by car? You can drive all the way to Gengenbach and leave your car at the last hotel. Then take the train to your first hotel for check-in.
What to Bring
We recommend you bring sturdy walking boots and socks, swim suits, warm and waterproof clothes, a day pack, water bottle, insect repellent, sun glasses, sun hat, sun block, compass, flashlight/torch and a first-aid kit.
Make sure you have travel insurance covering you against illness, injury, loss or damage to property and cancellations.
If hiking in the Black Forest is part of a longer vacation, bringing all your gear in your luggage can be a problem. Many of our hikers just don’t have space. That’s why we provide you with the option to rent a sturdy day pack plus hiking poles (official Schwarzwaldferein “Black Forest Hiking Club” equipment). The pack & poles will be waiting for you at your first hotel and will be retrieved at your last hotel. Bonus! If you would like to keep your bag or poles because they will be so cool to show off back home, we will equip you with a brand-new set of bag/poles instead.
- Rental cost: 25€ for the duration of your hike
A few weeks prior to your hike we will check in to see if this option is for you. And! Free! A goodie-bag will also be waiting at your first hotel with lots of useful stuff for your hike – a thank you gift from Black Forest Tours for hiking with us.