The Red Deer Trail Package is available from mid-May to mid-October.
- 4 star hotel accommodation
- Breakfast buffet
- Free public transportation pass while staying in the Black Forest
- detailed route descriptions & maps
- luggage transfer between hotels. Your luggage will be transferred by the hotel and moved to the next hotel on your route. The transfer of one bag per person (up to 20 kilos) is included with your tour package.
- Travel to and from start/end of the Red Deer Trail hike
- Lunches and dinners
- Travel insurance. Make sure you have travel insurance covering you against illness, injury, loss or damage to property and cancellations.
- Personal expenses such as drinks, tips, telephone calls, extra transfers (such as by taxi or when not included in public transport pass).
Lunch & Dinner
- Breakfast. Breakfasts are included with your booking.
- Lunch. Add-on a Lunch Package (8 Euros per day per person). You will often not have options for lunch along the trails – strongly recommended!
- Dinner. All hotels have a restaurant, but not all are open every day. Add-on a dinner package each night or for individual nights (32 Euros per day per person). These dinner packages must be booked in advance. Pricing will be greater if you purchase them at the hotel. Optionally choose to eat a la carte at the hotel restaurant. Please note that some restaurants are closed on particular days, and on those days only a prix-fixe menu may be available.
Navigation, Route Notes & Maps
The route is well marked and easy to follow. The Red Deer Trail has a sign with a green deer on it, which you will follow on your hikes. The hotels are responsible for ensuring that the green deer sign is at all the necessary way points. At each point where the route divides, you should see a sign. With the tour package come detailed route notes and a map. If you have questions about the trail ahead, ask at the hotel. They will go over the route with you and provide local detail – they know the trails very well.
Grade & Shortening Walks
Daily distances do not exceed 20 km. The grade of the trails is moderately steep in places. Have a look at the elevation profile images for each day. There are some significant ascents and descents. Sometimes you have the option to shorten the route. The notes will mention bus stops and taxi phone numbers for that purpose. Public transportation is free using the Konus Card, which you receive at the beginning of your tour. You must pay for cabs – taxi cab rides are not included in your package.
We Recommend Bringing:
- sturdy walking boots and socks
- swim suits
- warm and waterproof clothes
- a day pack
- water bottle
- insect repellent
- sun glasses, sun hat, sun block
- first-aid kit.
- Double Rooms. If you are booking a double room there is one double bed with 2 individual mattresses (not 2 twin beds). If you require separate beds we recommend booking 2 separate rooms.
- Single Rooms. If you are traveling by yourself we charge a single room supplement. You will either be provided with a single room. Or with a double room for single use – based on availability.
- Bathrooms. All rooms have private en-suite bathrooms.
- Air-Conditioning. Summers can be very warm. Most hotels in Germany do not have air-conditioning. Sometimes hotels can provide a fan for your room. Usually the hotel owners will tell you to sleep with the window open during the night – this is very common in Germany.
Cell Phone Coverage & Wi-Fi
- Mobile Phone Coverage. Please note that the Black Forest is a mountainous area. Often there is no mobile phone coverage when hiking in the Black Forest. If you require constant online access we do NOT recommend hiking in the Black Forest. Consider staying in a large town like Baden-Baden or Freiburg instead.
- Wi-Fi in hotels. All of our hotels have wi-fi but sometimes it can be spotty in your room – depending on the location of your room. If you require constant online access we do NOT recommend hiking the Black Forest. Consider staying in a large town like Baden-Baden or Freiburg instead.